When you aunt is having to make arrangements with funeral homes in Cottage Grove, OR. for their loved one’s services, they are going through a very difficult time. Being part of the family, you want to help her in this hard time but you may not be sure what you can do. Although you know your aunt the best and what she might need, it can still be tough knowing exactly what you should do. Luckily we have these ideas to help you out.
Create a Care Package
Creating a care package is a wonderful and welcomed gift for your aunt. She will be going through a lot and probably be putting her own self-care on the back burner during this time. Sending her a care package of useful items will not only show your support but give them a gift she can actually use. Holding a viewing can be healing for both the grieving family as well as the guests.
- Food and snacks – Many times when we are grieving, we may not feel like cooking or even eating at all. Adding in quick and easy snacks and meals is a great way to encourage your aunt to keep nourished. Include things like granola bars, nuts, protein bars, and easy microwavable soups and meals.
- Comfort Items – Help your aunt feel cozy and comforted by adding in items like fuzzy socks, a weighted blanket, scented candles, a bubble bath, or bath bombs; anything to help her relax and feel less stressed.
- Helpful Items – When your aunt is mourning, she will be working out how to process everything that has happened. Adding in things like a pretty journal, paints, canvases, or even a book to read about grieving can help her work through their grief in a healthy way.
- Necessities – Things you may not think about adding but can be the most appreciated are simple things like toothpaste, body soap, toilet paper, and other necessities. While these aren’t the most exciting items, many times these are the items that are most needed. These are the things that we tend to run out of quickly and if your aunt is mourning, she may not want to run out to the store to pick more up. Having these things on hand will be appreciated.
Offer Your Services
Most likely, there will be a ton of things your aunt is going to have to deal with. From planning funeral arrangements to dealing with bills and other loose ends, your aunt will have a full plate. Help her out by offering any services you can.
Some ideas of how you can help are:
- Take/pick up their kids from school
- Clean her house
- Mow her yard or complete other yardwork
- Run errands for her one day a week
- Babysit her kids
- Cook her dinner
- Do her laundry
Ask your aunt what they need and let her know you are willing and able to help them. Even the mundane tasks still need to get done and having your help can be a lifesaver for their mental health at this time. You can also help with the arrangements and go to the funeral homes in Cottage Grove, OR. alongside her. And of course, you can always just be there for her to talk to and have a shoulder to cry on.